Monday, June 29, 2009

The learning curve as a Fireman's Wife...SCBA testing day...

Adam had been telling me bits and pieces of how he had been asked to be on a committee to help choose what SCBA - Self. Contained.Breathing.Apparatus the county would purchase. During June, most of the meetings were on his days off or on days he had taken off for vacation. I was annoyed with it, really...I guess I just didn't see the importance and I was cynical..asking Adam, "how can they have you come in on days off for goodness sake.." This went on and then the day came when Adam needed to go to do the testing on the 3 leading company's SCBA's...

Adam asked me the night before if I would meet him at the training tower and maybe take a few pictures. He had been at the fire station the day before... so he met me there at 8:30am....

It was really fun to get to watch the guys in action...there were fire trucks all over and the guys came in one by one and set up their gear .....

Captain Denney went over the checklist of the drills Adam had written up to test the BA's

the guys had set up their gear and were ready for instruction.....


the last of the firefighters arrive...I think they are ready now..... how cool to get to see them all in action....



Adam and Denney discuss the action plan for today's testing inside the tower.....




the set-up was really nice...I was impressed with how organized everything was...men did this...cool....


then they were debriefed on what they were going to do....



Captain Loftin...more paperwork..they wrote down everything..who did what drill...etc..etc...


Chief Coggin takes over the paperwork and the radios..making sure he knows who is 'in' and who is 'out' ....




SCBA #1


SCBA #2



SCBA #3

the masks..it is part of the purchase... they will be purchasing the tanks, the gauges, the straps, the mask...all of that is part of the SCBA ....

the guys all sign in - in two different places...many of them on their off time....I was touched, really...
Here is Jonathan and Mark taking a closer look at the mechanics of each BA.....


And there they go....
They made smoke by making a hay fire in these barrels...Adam helped with that earlier project after returning from Smoke Diver School...it was cool seeing Adam as a leader showing the new guys how to work the burn barrels that I remembered him making and showing the guys how to keep the smoke going...
The tests included going in and testing the masks, they did a 'fireman down' drill where one of the guys lays on his back and two other fireman drag him outand a bunch more tests (i used a different camera for all of that)...then they went into the AC and discussed the pros and cons of each BA...I got to take notes...it was really fun.. much like a textbook adoption (remember i teach math), but way way cooler...all things that were important..like there was one that the person wearing the tank couldn't reach the valve to turn it on...or one the material of the straps fit on the person down, that they couldn't get a hold of him ..things that could be the difference of life or death...it was a new awakening for me...it was like a light bulb going off..



For the last test, they needed to set a fire using wooden pallets in another part of the burn building and test how well the BA's held up in extreme temperatures... Adam told some of the new guys to go in to watch the fire progression...a learning opportunity.....
And then he pointed to me....Adam pointed to me!!


The next thing I know I am being suited up ..yes, that is me!! They help suit me up in full gear...which the BA alone is around 35 pounds...


Here I am putting the finishing touches on my outfit....the gloves.... I had no warning...I was in total shock...and they were rushing me because most of the guys were already seated and waiting...


They put my gear on clear across the parking lot - it was hard enough just the walk to the building...you see where that fire is billowing out..that is where I am headed....


Here we go....... that is me on the right with Adam..... we go in and he says..."Stay Low!!" - so I crawl in the best I can with all of that heavy gear...it is dark except for the fire that is heating up to our right...
I get in and my eyes adjust..there are about 4 other fireman in there already seated...of course, Adam didn't give me a lick of instructions..so I had no idea what I was doing or how to breathe..nothin..so I asked to go out...but the guys, insisted I was fine..so leaving was not an option...
After I figured out that all we were there to do was watch the fire progression, its behavior and just sit..no crawling or moving...just sitting and watching...and I figured out how to just breathe normally in my mask, I relaxed...and listened to Adam explain how the fire moves up and over...i just kept telling myself..."relax, it is just a day at the beach..."


Here I am coming out while Captain Loftin helps he out of my gear.....I did it!! What a rush...what an experience...


It was 280 degrees on the floor where we were sitting and a couple of thousand degrees at the ceiling of about 8 ft...... wow.... I knew it felt hot in there, but I had no idea it was that hot....
I learned so much from the opportunity to suit up and physically go into an involved building like that...the light bulb really went off. I have been married to a fireman for more than 15 years, but now I know what it feels like to walk in that heavy gear and the overwhelming heat...and how frightened I was...I understand so much more now.......

Before the testing began and now after the training is over, each fireman must have their vitals taken...I learned so much today.... fireman understand safety, they are good at organization and procedures, they work together for the common goal of protecting me and you and each other in a fire no matter the cost..... I was so impressed by each and everything I saw and learned...



This was my partner in crime...Austin...he was a cutie...he was Warren's son, one of the fireman... I learned all about his girlfriend issues and how he likes summer and on and on...


Austin...what a cutie!! Future fireman...wants to be just like his daddy....


























No comments: